The Under Armour AD of the Year Award recognizes administrative excellence within the campus and/or college community environment. It is for NACDA members in the U.S. and is presented for significant contributions made by a director of athletics at their institution in their respective division. This award is presented annually in NCAA Divisions FBS, FCS, Divisions I-AAA, II and III, NAIA/other four-year institutions and junior/ community colleges. Winners will be presented with their awards during the James J. Corbett Awards Luncheon at NACDA's 53rd Annual Convention. There will be 28 winners, four per division. Athletics directors may win the award only once in three years.
Eligibility and Criteria
All directors of athletics, provided they meet the following criteria, are eligible. The nominee must:
- Be a NACDA member.
- Have served as an athletics director, either at the current institution or otherwise, for a minimum of five (5) consecutive academic years. Nominees currently in their fifth academic year as an athletics director are eligible to be considered.
- Be employed in a full-time capacity as the director of athletics (not as an interim, associate, assistant or senior woman administrator) at the institution listed at the time of nomination.
- Demonstrate a commitment to higher education and the educational, personal and professional pursuits of student-athletes.
- Demonstrate continuous teamwork, loyalty and excellence.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing education and professional development for the athletics administrative staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to inspire individuals or groups to high levels of accomplishment.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Show leadership on the regional and/or national levels through serving on various committees or boards, including but not limited to NACDA committees; NCAA, NAIA or junior/community college committees; other organization/association/institutional committees (Women Leaders in College Sports, USOC, AAU, etc.).
In addition to the aforementioned criteria, if the nominated athletics director's institution is on probation, he/she will NOT be eligible to receive the ADOY award unless the institution has been removed from the appropriate governing bodies' probation prior to the public presentation of the award. An athletics director who has inherited a program currently on probation or is under review for probation (or lack of institutional control), IS eligible to receive the award, as long as no other significant violations have occurred since his/her arrival that contributed to the aforementioned.
Nominations must be submitted by Monday, January 22, 2018. Please submit nominations using this link. No other submission methods will be accepted. Nominators are required to submit a nomination form on behalf of a nominee, as well as a brief recommendation and an up-to-date biography.
For questions, please contact Katie Newman in the NACDA office at 440-788-7474.