May 5, 2017
As noted in the release below, the Learfield Directors' Cup will undergo some scoring changes as voted on by the Directors' Cup Committee at its most recent meeting. For clarification purposes, the changes will be effective for the 2017-18 academic year.
CLEVELAND - For the first time in recent history, the Learfield Directors' Cup Committee voted to make scoring adjustments for the current year at its most recent meeting.
The committee reviewed the overall scoring structure and based the new scoring off of the following:
- Adjustment of "count maximums" based on actual sport sponsorship averages/medians
- We utilized the sports sponosrship and Participation rate report from the NCAA and were proivded final numbers from the NAIA office.
- Requirement of predetermined sport "counters" in point determiniation which varies by division
- The sport "counters" were on team bracketed sports.
- Adjustment of gender requirements
- Since the NCAA and NAIA currently embrace and abide by the federal law (Title IX) that requires equal participation opportunities within its athletics programs, the previous gender requirements (equal sports scored in each gender) that have been used were no longer deemed necessary.
The following changes will be made beginning with the 2017-18 year with regard to the scoring:
Division I: Count 19 sports with the following breakdowns (decreased by 1, 19.1 avg.)
Four of which must be Baseball and Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball and Women's Volleyball
Division II: Count top 15 (increased by 1, 15.3 avg.)
Four of which must be Men's Basketball, Baseball, Women's Basketball and Volleyball
Division III: Count top 18 (stayed the same, 17.8 avg)
Four of which must be Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Basketball and Women's Soccer
NAIA: Count top 13 (increased by 1, 13.4 avg. championship sports)
Four of which must be Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Basketball and Women's Volleyball
The scoring structure for the past 20-plus years has been the following:
Division I: 20 total sports scored (10 men's, 10 women's)
Division II: 14 total sports scored (7 men's, 7 women's)
Division III: 18 total sports scored (9 men's, 9 women's)
NAIA: 12 total sports scored (6 men's, 6 women's)
Please note, standings published midseason are unofficial. Official standings will be published upon the completion of the fall season. Complete standings and the scoring structure can be found on NACDA's website at www.directorscup.org. In addition, please visit www.thedirectorscup.com, like us on Facebook at facebook.com/ldirectorscup or follow us on Twitter @ldirectorscup.
About Learfield: An industry leader for more than four decades, Learfield has a deep presence in the college athletics landscape nationwide. It manages the multimedia and sponsorship rights for more than 120 collegiate institutions, conferences and arenas, and supports athletics departments at all competitive levels as title sponsor of the prestigious Learfield Directors' Cup. Learfield also provides its collegiate partners access to professional concessions and ticket sales; branding, licensing and trademark consulting; digital and social platform expertise; campus-wide business and sponsorship development; and venue and technology systems through its affiliated companies.