2018 MCLENDON SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
NACDA is pleased to offer, through the John McLendon Minority Scholarship Foundation, six (6) $10,000 postgraduate scholarships, to minority candidates who are planning to pursue a master's degree in athletics administration/sport management. The awards are in addition to any other awards or scholarships the student may have already received. Through the support of the Fiesta Bowl, one of the six available scholarships will be earmarked specifically for a minority candidate from an Arizona based four-year institution.
To be considered for a John McLendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship, a nominee must:
- Meet the federal guidelines for definition as a minority. These are as follows:
||Black (Not of Hispanic origin) - All persons having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
||Hispanic - All persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture of origin, regardless of race.
||Asian or Pacific Islander - All persons having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the Pacific Islands. This area includes, for example, China, India, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands and Samoa.
||American Indian or Alaskan Native - All persons having origins in any of the original peoples of North America, and who maintain cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.
- Have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.2 (based on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent in the undergraduate curriculum. Candidates whose GPA is less than 3.2 will not be considered. If already enrolled in graduate school, current graduate GPA will not be considered.
- Be planning to pursue a postgraduate course of study in athletics administration/sport management within five years of receipt of the scholarship. If the candidate will be pursuing a course of study that is unique (i.e. educational leadership, higher education, sport psychology, etc.), or if there are any other mitigating factors (i.e. institution does not have a graduate program specific to athletics administration/sport management), please inform the selection committee of such cases and those circumstances may be considered. Please note, regardless of mitigating circumstances, the overall goal for the candidate must be to pursue a career in athletics administration/sport management. Programs related to athletic training/sports medicine will not be considered.
- Have demonstrated leadership qualities on a college/university or community level
Candidates who meet the following may be considered for the scholarship:
- Candidate is a current full-time senior and plans to pursue a master's degree in athletics administration/sport management; OR
- Candidate is currently enrolled in a full-time capacity in an athletics administration master's program but will not have graduated before June 2018
In addition to the application form, the applicant MUST submit a 500-word personal essay explaining why he/she feels they are deserving of a McLendon Postgraduate Scholarship. Furthermore, a brief one-page letter of recommendation from the applicant's advisor must also accompany the application.
Applications must be received no later than Friday, April 6, 2018.
For questions, contact Katie Newman (email@example.com) in the NACDA office, 440-788-7474.